Setting Manual Focus & Auto Focus
Machine Types: Epilog Mini 18/24 and Helix
- #1 Phillips Head Screwdriver
- Piece of Anodize Aluminum
- Get out a 4x4 piece of anodized aluminum and place it inside the machine, flushed with the ruler guide. Now turn on the engraver.
- Open up Corel Draw and create a page size 4x4. Draw box 2x2… fill it black and place it up towards the top left corner of the page. It does not have to be flushed with the page.
- Make sure the PIECE SIZE in the print driver matches up with the page size of Corel. Also, make sure AUTO FOCUS is set to YES in the print driver. Send the box over as a Raster job using speed 100 and refer to your owner’s manual for the recommended power to use with the wattage of your machine.
- Send over the job and run it. Press FOCUS on the keypad while the job is running. Use either the UP or DOWN arrow to focus the table and find the brightest spot where the laser is burning on the anodize aluminum.
- Then press STOP on the keypad but do not hit RESET. Set the manual focus gauge (V shape tool) in place and adjust the focus gauge to where the bottom of it is barely touching the top surface of the anodized aluminum. To set the manual focus gauge, use the #1 Phillips head screwdriver and loosen up the two Phillips head screws… set the height accordingly and tighten up the screws.
- Once the manual focus is adjusted you now have to set the auto focus to where it matches up with the manual focus. Press STOP and X/Y OFF simultaneously which will bring up a hidden menu for auto focus adjustment, you will adjust the numbers to set the auto focus. The higher you go into the negative numbers, the higher the table will sit. The number ranges from -200 to +300. If you adjust the numbers in increments of 40 it will raise or lower the table about 1/16 of an inch.
- Adjust the number accordingly and press GO to save the settings. Once the numbers are saved, rerun the job and press STOP in the middle of it.
- Set the manual focus gauge in place and see if it is barely touching the anodize aluminum. If it is not, go back and adjust the auto focus until the manual focus is barely touching the material.
If you have any questions, please contact Epilog’s Technical Support