How do I replace the Y-Motor on my Zing Laser?
Y-Axis Motor Replacement on the Epilog Zing
Machine Type: Epilog Zing 16 and 24
Tools Required: #1 Phillips screw driver
- Remove the back panel form the machine by loosening the captured screws shown in Picture 1.
Note: The screws will loosen but you will not be able to remove them from the back panel.
Picture 1 - Rear Panel Screws
- Locate the Y-motor, it is shown in picture 2.
Picture 2 - Y-Motor Location
- On either side of the Y-motor is a drive coupler. Locate the drive couplers. They are shown in picture 3.
Picture 3 - Location of Drive Couplers
- On each drive coupler are two hex head (Allen screws). Locate and then loosen all four hex head screws. The four hex head screws are shown in picture 4.
Picture 4 - Drive Coupler Hex Screws
- Slide the drive couplers away from the Y-motor as shown in picture 5.
Picture 5 - Right Drive Coupler Moved Away From Y-Motor
- On the far left hand side of the engravers chassis is the Y-motor electrical connection. The black connection is for the Y-motor. This connection is shown in picture 6.
Picture 6 - Y-Axis Motor Connection
- On the Y-motor connection is a small lock. Depress the lock and gently pull the connection to the right. It should require no force to remove the connector from it socket, once the lock is depressed.
- Clip the white cable tie which is shown in picture 7.
Picture 7 - Cable Tie to be Removed
- On the right hand side of the Y-Axis motor there are 4 Phillips mounting screws. The location of the mounting screws is shown in picture 8.
Picture 8 - Y-Motor Mounting Screw Location
- Remove the four Y-Motor mounting screws and move the motor to the left far enough to clear the motor shaft.
- Install the Y-Motor from the left hand side and install and tighten the four mounting screws.
- Reconnect the Y-Motor electrical connection on the left hand side of the machine. Due to the key on one side, this connector can only be installed in one direction.
- Slide the drive couplers back in to place. The drive coupler on the left, in picture 8 is in the correct position.
Note: There are no “flats” on the drive shafts to line up. Simply slide the coupler in place and tighten the four hex head screws (Allen screws)
Picture 9 - Left Drive Coupler in Correct Position and Right Out of Position
- Replace the machines rear panel.
- Restart the engraver.
If you have any questions please call Epilog’s Technical Support