X-Axis Encoder Read Head Replacement on the Mini
How do I replace the X-Axis Read Head on my Mini?
X-Axis Encoder Read Head Replacement on the Mini/Helix
Machine Type: Mini 18/24
- Large #2 Phillips head screwdriver
- Small #3 Phillips head screwdriver
- 3/32 Allen Wrench
- Make sure the engraver is shut off. Open the plexi-glass window on the engraver. Pull the X-axis beam to the front of the engraver. The X-axis beam is what the laser head travels left and right on.
- You will need to remove the gray cover that has the Epilog logo written on the X axis I beam. Using a #1 Phillips head screw driver, remove the 7 screws, two in the front and 5 on the back. Once the screws are removed, take the cover off and set it aside.
- Locate the white flex (ribbon) cable that runs the length of the inside of the X-axis beam. Disconnect cable from the small green circuit board located above lens head.
- Now you must remove the green circuit board above lens head. This board is held down by 2 Allen screws. Use the 3/32 Allen wrench on these screws to remove them. Take the board out. Take the new read-head board and screw it in, placing it in exactly as the original that you just removed. Note that it is important that the brown read-head located under the green board is situated over the thin plastic optical strip where it does not touch the strip. In other words, there should be a small space between the thin strip that runs the length of the x-axis beam, left to right, and the brown read-head’s inner walls.
- Once you have the new read head secured on the green board, put the cover back on and secure all the screws down.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at the Technical Support Dept listed below.